I did it! I successfully painted (or drew) every single day in January. For the first time in my life, I produced 1 acrylic painting (and still not a fan of acrylic!), 13 oil paintings, 8 watercolour paintings, and 5 line drawings in 31 days. Yay!! But, I am not finished. My goal this year is to paint every single day in 2016.
While I am still inspired, I am quite concerned whether I can think up enough subject ideas to keep painting for the rest of the year or if I will have time to create something when I move houses this month. I am going to keep my sketchbook close in case I find a spare time to sketch something. Regarding subject ideas, I will ask around for help if I ever run out of ideas. Wish me luck!
I constantly surprised myself that I can paint from still life (although not as brilliant as the ones I painted from photos) and complete most of pieces in about an hour. Three of my paintings I didn’t finish and continue the day after. I especially spent the longest with this self portrait that I painted using a mirror – which was so hard, good hard though.
My thoughts while being creative every day in January:
- I love painting food, especially fruits!
- I really enjoyed drawing in my sketckbook with my fine liner, and pleased to see that they were well liked.
- I need to learn not to waste the paints so this month I am going to be intentional with how much paint I am putting on my palette for one little picture.
- When my canvases were running low, I came to the realisation that I won’t be able to afford to paint oil most of the time so I am going to recycle my least favourite paintings monthly, or try to sell my best ones.
- I learnt to share my work anyway if I don’t like what I have created. It is liberating once I got used to the idea of people seeing my weakness as an artist.
- Following other artists’ work on social media is so inspiring – check out Amanda‘s cute little drawings, Joanna‘s abstract pieces and Brittany‘s paintings of the elderly.
- I paint better in the mornings, even if I am still tired.
- I post my paintings on Instagram daily, not every day on Twitter and Facebook. Should I post on all of them daily so that no one miss out or is that too much?
I hope you have enjoyed following my year of creative habits adventure and I’d love to hear your thoughts about my daily art!